Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Bruce Kendall


Bruce Kendall is President  and CEO at Economic Development Board for Tacoma-Pierce County. And a buddy of our instructor otherwise he would not be visiting us. Actually I learned that our instructor has some of the coolest friends around, lucky for his kids since that means some cool job opportunities.

Anyway his company is a nonprofit that looks to develop Tacoma and the Pierce County to make them more successful. Which is awesome and I hope that they continue to thrive.

But aside from that I learned a few interesting things. One I had no idea that companies like his exist, and that they are nonprofit. And by like that I mean companies that work on improving local economies for NO PROFIT. That is very amazing. The people who start those companies, the people who work there have forever earned my respect. Another thing I learned is once again the importance of clusters and how their company is focusing on expanding a cluster or two here in Tacoma. As a student in not such great economic times the idea of possible jobs is inspiring. And lastly he finally said that business education is important, yay for me (finance major me). I feel like it’s not stressed enough that if you want to have a business venture you need some research or education in business because that is what you are staring, a business.

Overall his visit was a feel good and uplifting one. Anytime you hear that bad situations can be fixed and there are people dedicated to fix them you feel better about tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment