Thursday, February 13, 2014

Dot.com to dot.bomb

This presentation was fast and furious. I think it was my favorite! Absolutely happy that this class is actually being taught by a person who went thru all the nonsense that was happening during that period.

So a quick summery: a lot of stuff happened. Tah dah, I think this blog is complete.

Okay but on a serious note, the presentation delivered two important ideas : jump on the train early and get off in time. Now the reason I say that is because people made good money and they lost even more money. There is a reason why people who save money have it better, they have something to live off if things go south. So basically take risks and participate in new trends but be thoughtful in the way you do it, invest and spend wisely. Sounds easy and redundant but practice of it is harder than it seems, example of that is all the fabulous companies that failed for those same reasons. I feel like if we were to go back to the startup.com documentary I would be the Kenneth in the drama, as I would rather take the money then risk having nothing at the end.

Overall I think it's incredible how fast some technology companies rose and fell, it's startling really. And not just that but what ripple effect this short time period had on other professions as well. In general I always find it interesting to find out the reasons behind some trends in the economy world. And a very interesting fact was brought up about outsourcing certain common work positions after the boom happened that totally blew my mind. When he said that the demand for certain decent positions rose dramatically in a short time, I knew that the salaries would also rise, and they did, but when the boom happened no one was willing to pay that money anymore and so they outsourced. So in a sense it was pretty much the workers fault for having greedy demands for rather common positions which led to some major outsourcing. At least in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment